Experience of an Indian Girl who shaved her head

October 26, 2017

This is the experience of Vaishnavi who shaved her head for overcoming the fear of no hair.

This is the first time I am sharing my experience with going bald. I shaved my head back in December 2015. I was 23 years old then. I am a PhD scholar and stay in campus for around 11 months out of 12.
I had a reason to go bald. I wanted to overcome the fear of having no hair on my head and experience everything related to it. I had short hair back in school days but my head was never bald, not even when I was a baby. So, I decided to chop it all off with the help of my friend who had nothing better to do for the day ;). And trust me dear it has been an enlightening journey. The blissful showers, no extra expenses on all those shampoos, conditions and oils. And most importantly not giving a fuck about what anybody thinks about your appearance.
I had decent long hair as you can see in my profile picture. So, before cutting all of it, I decided to go step by step. Reducing the length every 3–4 months. I had shoulder level length when I went bald. This is before.

and this is after


I got comments that I look like a monk!!
I did not tell my parents when I did this, but surprised them when I went home after 2 months with this

It was fun for me to see their faces :). I am quite lucky that I have really cool parents. They didn’t bother about my appearance and that I didn’t look ‘girly’ anymore.
Also, believe me dear I went to a wedding at my friend’s place a month after in January. I really enjoyed all the stares and all the ‘concerning’ looks. The aunties must be thinking, “ye pagal ladki kiski dost hai” (who is friends with this mad girl?). This is how I went to the wedding

It has been 1.5 years since and this is my current length after trimming 1 inch.

I enjoyed this journey a lot and I might do it again someday.
One suggestion, I did it in winter so I had to keep the scalp moisturized daily as I stay in Kanpur and it gets really cold here. If you are planning to do it in summers, shield it from direct sunlight while going out.

Source - Quora

You Might Also Like

0 comments